Kevin Beiser resides in Serra Mesa with his family and has called San Diego home for over a decade. Kevin is a math teacher in the Sweetwater Union High School District.
The first person in his family to graduate from high school and to attend college, Kevin earned his BA degree in Political Science with a minor in Speech Communications at Willamette University in Oregon.
For several years, he worked in business management, gaining valuable experience balancing budgets, making payroll, and identifying opportunities to reduce expenses.
Kevin returned to graduate school to fulfill his dream of helping children, earning a Masters Degree in Education at the University of Phoenix in San Diego and teaching credentials for both social sciences and mathematics.
Since becoming a high school mathematics teacher, he has received numerous awards and distinctions, including the following accolades:
- Outstanding Math Teacher of the Year 2008-2009 by the Greater San Diego Math Council
- Distinguished Service Award for commitment and support to the program for Gifted and Talented Education (GATE)
- Students at Granger Junior High School voted him as the Most Inspirational, Most Caring and Most Effective Teacher.
He has also served in many different leadership roles such as:
- Mathematics Department Chair
- Professional Learning Community Team Leader
- Faculty Advisory Committee
- Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment District Committee
- Link Crew Adviser
- Math Field Day Adviser
- Math Club Adviser
- Winning coach for the Football team and Math team.
On the San Diego Unified School District Board, Kevin has a proven track record of building coalitions to solve problems.
His Community and School District Accolades include:
- California Music Educators Association “Legislator of the Year” (2013)
- Harvey Milk Leadership Award (2011)
- San Diego Democratic Club “Service Distinction Award” (2011)
- Eli Broad Prize Finalist (2013)
- Classroom of the Future Foundation “Impact Award” (2013)
- National Association of Music Merchants “Best Community for Music Education” (2013)
- San Diego Unified State Test Scores Top in English, Science Among Large Districts (2012)
- Kennedy Center Alliance for Arts Education Network and National School Boards Association“2011 Award for Excellence in Arts Education”