Posted by Steven Levin on July 24, 2014 at 1:25 PM
Allows More Charter Public Schools to Access State Funds for Facilities
- Assemblymember Kristin Olsen (R-12, Modesto), Vice-Chair of the Assembly Education Committee, is authoring legislation sponsored by CCSA to expand eligibility for the SB 740 Charter School Facility Grant Program.
- The SB 740 program, originally created in 2001, provides facility rent and lease cost reimbursement (75% of actual costs or $750 per student), to schools serving some of the neediest student populations.
- As proposed to be amended, the bill does the following:
- Lowers the threshold for eligibility to charter public schools below 70% of students eligible for the Free-Reduced Price Meal (FRPM) program, if there are funds available to do so, down to schools with 60% of students eligible.
- AB 948 makes other technical changes, like applying the audit guide to the program.